Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Ride out your storm

From a very young age, my husband and I were brought up in the same church, going to Sunday School, youth activity, and eventually even joined ministries.  We've always shared a strong foundation in our christian faith. But as we've grown older, and married, storms have come to test that faith and our little boat has been tossed and rocked by the waves.  There have been many times I thought we would capsize and be torn apart as the storms were just too strong.  Yet, today we are still standing.  And I believe that is because of Jesus and the foundation we share in Him.  That anchor keeps us holding fast when the storms of this life rage against our little boat.  I will not lie and tell you things have always been rosy.  We've been tested and tried and faced some severe blows that almost destroyed us.  We've faced temptations and trials, and there've been times we didn't even seem to "like" one another.  There was a time when I thought I'd lost my husband forever.  He had changed so much that I didn't even know him anymore.  The man I thought I knew seemed to be gone.  Everyone told me to give up and find someone else.  But, deep inside, I knew he was still "in there" and I wanted him back.  I couldn't just give up on him, after all, I was his wife and if I wasn't willing to fight for him, what kind of wife would I be.  So, I  took it to God, crying out to Him.  I knew God was the only one who could make it all right.  After all, He knows us better than we know ourselves.  He knows our hearts.  So, I prayed and cried and prayed some more.  One morning, my husband surprised me by asking me if I would be willing to go back to church with him and believe for God to fix our marriage.  So, we went.  I'll be honest, it wasn't easy and things didn't change overnight, it took time and patience and a new understanding.  But healing began to come.  God began to mend our broken hearts.  And I sincerely believe it is because of the foundation we share in Jesus.  Neither of us could drift too far away from God that He couldn't still reach us. When we face trials today, I remember that struggle and how God brought us through.  Today, if you're facing a storm in your family, I encourage you to take it to God.  There is still hope.  God knows your hearts and He can knit them back together again.  I won't tell you that everything is perfect for us now, we still face trials and temptations like every couple.  But I know that God will be with us through them all if we keep our eyes on Him and let Him direct our path. Don't let the situation you face cloud your vision so you can't see God. He'll be there in the midst of it all and He will bring you through.  Keep your eyes on the goal.   If you're facing a difficult situation, don't give up, take it to God and keep on walking. Sometimes the battle we face is not physical, but spiritual.  Don't put your faith in what you see.  But put it in God. Don't quit. The devil is trying to destroy families anyway he can.  We have to fight him spiritually, and the only way to do that is on our knees.  Prayer will keep your family together and save your unsaved loved ones.  No matter what you're facing today,  don't give up.  Your battle is almost over.  And what a victorious day that will be.           

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your experience and lessons learned. It is encouraging for women to not feel alone in their times of trouble and to be shown that there are options other than divorce which God never inteded and has become an easy out for our culture. I love your work and would love for you to visit my site as well. I would love to quote you in upcoming articles if I may. ModernChristianMom.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true and very inspiring. With God all things are possible if we just believe and stand on His word. The Lord tries us like pure gold, he puts us through trials so that when the end result comes only He is shown in the reflection. God's grace and mercy is sufficent for us and He will supply all our needs. Just think, if you hadn't been through those trials you wouldn't be able to look back and see that God was there all along and it was Him who brought you through it. AND it will be Him who brings us through it all time and time again. Hang in there my sister, Christ Love!!

    ReplyDelete