Friday, January 13, 2012

How to have a Meek and Quiet Spirit-Part 2

Yesterday, I began a study on what it means to have a meek and quiet spirit.  You're welcome to read along with me from a book by Teri Maxwell entitled, Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit.  While I don't homeschool my children, I am interested in learning how to have a meek and quiet spirit, especially with my children.  I hope you'll join me.

So, what do the words "meek" and "quiet" mean?  Meek is defined by Webster's 1858 Dictionary as mild of temper, soft, gentle, not easily provoked or irritated.  Quiet is defined as peaceable, not turbulent, not giving offense, mild, meek and contented.  I did not see the word weak in there at all, which is a connotation I always associated with these words.  In reality, I think it requires an inner strength.

I Peter 3:4 of the KJV Bible says, But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.  
Matthew 11:29 says, Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. So, we see Jesus is meek.  Then, this is certainly something we should strive to be.  When you first envisioned yourself having children, how did you see yourself interacting with them?  Is it different than your day-to-day reality?  If you're like me, it probably is, unfortunately.  We don't always behave towards our children the way we had hoped we would.  Oh, we love them, and we start off each day saying, today will be different; I'll do things right today.  But within the first few minutes, we've already failed and we are left discouraged again.

So, what are the obstacles that keep us from having a meek and quiet spirit?  Let's look at some of those...Did your children wake up fighting with each other?  Is there a bed unmade that should have been made long ago? Is the sink full of dishes from last night? Is your husband unappreciative of all you do?  Did the alarm clock wake you up as soon as it seems you went to sleep?  Are you preoccupied with other personal or financial issues?  Most meek and quiet spirit robbers fall into the categories of fear, disorganization and anger.  I believe the Lord offers us great hope in helping us to overcome these obstacles.  "With God all things are possible", right?   I hope you'll continue to read along with me and see how we, too, can learn  practical, real-life ways to obtain this in our own lives.      

No comments:

Post a Comment