Thursday, January 12, 2012

To Have a Meek and Quiet Spirit

Ok.  So, yesterday I had one of those moments where I was totally disappointed in the way I handled a situation with my middle son. You've never been there, right? I know, more than we'd like to admit.  He came in the living room when I was on the computer and just had a complete meltdown.  But how did I respond?  "You'll be ok, don't worry about it." and just shrugged him off and went back to what I was doing.  Wow.  NOT exactly what he needed from me.  I knew I needed to check myself.  I wasn't thinking of him, I was thinking about me and my own desire to finish what I was doing.  Then my mind flashed back to my own childhood.  If I had a moment like that, my mother would've stopped whatever she was doing and sat down and hugged me and let me pour out my heart to her.  Then, she would've softly tried to reassure me and tell me how much she loved me and all the positives about myself.  I definitely had not done that with my son.  So, I immediately stood up and went to my son, put my arms around him and hugged him and let him stay there as long as he wanted.

This is not a one-time deal with me.  I'm sorry to say that I've found myself responding in an irritated tone all too often.  I've been there physically, yes, but not emotionally.

It got me thinking about the kind of mother God wants us to be.  I believe He wants us to have a meek and quiet spirit as wives and as mothers also.  I am SO not there yet, and I've tried so many times in my own strength and it seems I can never succeed.  But, I know who can give me strength when I am weak-Jesus. He can help me be the mother that my kids need me to be.  So, I'll keep praying and seeking God.

With that, I'd like to do a little study on what it means to have that meek and quiet spirit.  I don't know how many posts it will be, maybe just a couple or maybe a few.  I'll be reading the book Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit by Teri Maxwell.  I don't homeschool, but I'd sure like to learn more about how to have a gentle spirit like that.  So, I hope you'll join me and maybe we'll find encouragement along the way, together.

No comments:

Post a Comment